Arlington County Fire Marshal Urges Residents to Buy, Install, Maintain Carbon Monoxide Alarms
April 25, 2012
ARLINGTON, Va. – Citing the tragedy in Prince George’s County, where five adults
apparently were killed Tuesday by carbon monoxide poisoning in an Oxon Hills home, Arlington County Chief Fire Marshal Daniel Fitch today urged residents to buy, install and maintain life-saving carbon monoxide alarms.
“Carbon monoxide is a silent killer,” Fire Marshal Fitch said. “What happened in Prince George’s County yesterday is a tragic reminder that smoke alarms are not enough -- every home needs to have carbon monoxide alarms. Renters and homeowners need to keep their families safe by testing those alarms once a month and replacing them according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.”
The alarms should be on every level of the home, and in central locations outside sleeping areas. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, gas that is a byproduct of combustion. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea, dizziness, light-headedness, and shortness of breath.
What to do if a carbon monoxide alarm sounds in a home:
- Get outdoors
- Account for all occupants
- Call 911 from a fresh air location
- Stay outside until the fire department checks your home
Arlington, Va., is a world-class residential, business and tourist location that was originally part of the "10 miles square" parcel of land surveyed in 1791 to be the Nation's Capital. It is the geographically smallest self-governing county in the United States, occupying slightly less than 26 square miles. Arlington maintains a rich variety of stable neighborhoods, quality schools and enlightened land use, and received the Environmental Protection Agency's highest award for "Smart Growth" in 2002. Home to some of the most influential organizations in the world - including the Pentagon - Arlington stands out as one of America's preeminent places to live, visit and do business.