Mobile App for Emergency Preparedness
December 14, 2011
- Free app for iPhone and Android users
- What to do in an emergency, with customizable features
- First mobile app for the County
– Want to be more prepared for an emergency? The County’s new Arlington Prepares
mobile app provides users with smart phones an easy way to stay prepared – no matter where you may be when a crisis happens. The Arlington Prepares
app is available as a free download in the Apple App Store
and Android Marketplace
Icon for Arlington Prepares mobile app, as it appears in iTunes.
“The principles of preparedness have not changed much, “ said Director of Emergency Management Jack Brown. “But the way people access, process and store information in a 24/7 world has changed drastically over the last few years. This new app helps ensure that no matter where you are or what you are doing, you'll be prepared when a crisis happens.”
With the winter weather season approaching, Arlington Prepares can help you stay informed. You can receive weather and traffic alerts; store family emergency plans and contact information and track supplies in your emergency kit.
Key Features of the App
- What to do in an emergency such as a tornado, earthquake, fire, or hazardous material threat.
- Sources for to local emergency news.
- Quick access to up-to-the minute Arlington Alerts.
Make a Plan
- Disaster kit checklists and the ability to customize those lists.
- Key contact information for public safety agencies, utilities, and more – info you’ll have with you anywhere you go.
- The ability to pull in your own existing emergency contacts from your phone.
- How to get involved as a volunteer in emergencies.
- Links to and descriptions of local volunteer organizations.
More About the App
The Department of Technology Services, Offices of Emergency Management, and Office of Communications collaborated in the in-house development of this mobile app. This is the first mobile app for Arlington County – and the first emergency management app of its kind in the country. A Spanish version of the app also will be available in the coming weeks.
Arlington, Va., is a world-class residential, business and tourist location that was originally part of the "10 miles square" parcel of land surveyed in 1791 to be the Nation's Capital. It is the geographically smallest self-governing county in the United States, occupying slightly less than 26 square miles. Arlington maintains a rich variety of stable neighborhoods, quality schools and enlightened land use, and received the Environmental Protection Agency's highest award for "Smart Growth" in 2002. Home to some of the most influential organizations in the world - including the Pentagon - Arlington stands out as one of America's preeminent places to live, visit and do business.